Monday, March 7, 2011

Malifaux for the Young

Let me say that I would generally not recommend Malifaux for a younger gamer. There are a number of reasons for this, the background content, the models(some are...well intense), the amount of special rules for each model and the math is a little more involved than the typical d6 style games.  

My son, who is 10, has wanted to play though. This is probably because he knows it's the game I "sneak" out of the house to play without him. So a few days ago I said to him that if he really wanted to play we could play a small game and we set up a scenario. The 2 crews we used were Perdita, which he would use and Nicodem which I would use. We also played with small crews which turned out to be three models each and drew for a strategy each but no schemes.

And the game went quite well. It didn't take my son long to get into the flow of the game and he has the patience to read through the stat cards.(he will probably have them all memorized soon!) He probably enjoyed the game even more than some others because he could concentrate on a few models and each one was a character.

Having said this there are certain crews and models I would not like him to play at his age and I would not let him read the stories in the books. Also when we played we both described the model's actions as we were playing, weaving a story as we played the game. I definitely described the actions with a lighter tone and in actually the game can be quite humorous, who knew. 

It was a fun game that ended in a tie and I'm sure there will be more.

On the building front I have completed the 3 buildings I've been working on for Malifaux I just have to give them finishing details to make them Malifaux specific. I will work on getting a water tower together and get the zombie horde painted in time for a game demo at the end of the month.

Talk to you soon.

A view of the Ortegos. The three round markers were evidence I had to destroy.
Nicodem's side approaching the town.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment