Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I'm Back

Well I haven't been very active in the hobby for the last little bit on the account of life.

Before the break I did get in some games though my memory is a little hazy now. I did get in a game of Firestorm Armada by Spartan Games with my son in which I was victorious! I concentrated fire on his battleship and managed a critical hit which destroyed it after which he withdrew his fleet. We are using card board cut outs downloaded from their website until we figure out which fleets we would like to invest in. A good way to try out the game without spending money on models.

I also picked up a copy of Deathwatch by Fantasy Flight Games. This is an RPG set in the Games Workshop 40k universe in which you take on the role of a Space Marine. It is a great read for the background. I started the introductory adventure with my son and it was a little slow mainly because it has been awhile since I GM'd and longer since I ran a similar game system which is based on the old Warhammer Roleplay game.

I played another game of Ravenloft with my son and a friend of mine. We successfully completed scenario 3 from the scenario book though at first we thought we had lost till we checked a rule, backed it up a turn and replayed the last turn correctly. A problem I find with co-op games is that players aren't keeping as close an eye on other players moves so even though people are not cheating sometimes you go "hey wait shouldn't this have happen this way". Still a fun game for a D&D fill in.

Modeling wise I have started some work on my 40k Orks which when completed will bring the force up to 1500pts. My son is agonizing over which Warhammer Fantasy army to start; Lizardmen, High Elves, Dwarves, Tomb Kings. So far he keeps returning to the Lizardmen even after buying the High Elves army book, so who knows. I guess I will have to dust off and update either my Orcs & Goblins or Empire armies.

Preparation is just starting for the annual familly Christmas battle which has become a tradition between my son and I. We have done it for the past 3 or 4 years and I believe this year I will have to show no mercy. So far every year we have done Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game by Games Workshop and this year will be no different. My son will command the forces of evil led by his Mumak while I will defend with the forces of good(bolstered by a surprise unit). I will post the army lists as they are finalized and the battle report when the game is finished. This game usually takes a few days as we battle when the Christmas festivities allow.

That's it for now, I plan on getting a few more games in, continue working on the 40k Orks and working on my 28mm WWII Canadians all while patiently waiting for the Ultramarines movie to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment