Monday, August 1, 2011

Game Prioritizing

So I've come back from a week of camping with the family and for obvious reasons have not gotten a lot of gaming in but probably more than I should have.

Before I headed out I managed to get together with Shawn and played a couple of board games. We played a game of Monsterpocalypse which was fun but it took me about half the game to get the swing of it and I think it would take some time to get all the unit interactions worked out and I am not sure I liked it enough to invest the time. The same night we played a game of Dust Tactics which is a very quick game to play but suffers from a lack of depth in game play, at least with the units that come in the starter box. I suspect it will be better with a mix of more units. Fantasy Flight is coming out with a miniature set of rules for Dust called Dust Warfare written by Andy Chambers which should be worth checking out.

My son Tristan and I played a game of Space Hulk which was a lot of fun with my last Terminator being dragged to his death just before completing the mission.

While camping my son and I played Ascension which was another fun game(and easy to transport).

Eric and I had a discussion about which miniature games we would like to keep in a regular game play rotation. To meet this criteria we wanted a game we can play in about 4 hours and the rules should provide a good feel of the period but not require to much time to master the rules while the tactics we don't mind spending the time to work out.

So this is the list we came up with

Historical:
Trafalgar- 1/1200 Napoleonic Naval
Lasalle- 15mm Napoleonic
Flames of War- 15mm WWII
Disposable Heroes- 28mm WWII skirmish
Force on Force- 20mm Modern skirmish

SF/Fantasy:
Infinity- SF skirmish
Malifaux- Fantasy skirmish
Warmachine- Fantasy skirmish

Of course being a war gamer there are others that will be played but maybe not as frequently.

Next game up should be Force on Force and I will probably do up a full fledged battle report as this will be are first game of this system. Hopefully we will be playing this within a couple of weeks so that should be in the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment